What is a Magic Spell: The Definition
But first ... the definition. What is a magic spell? Here is our official word on the matter:
"A spell is any psychic or magical operation that combines a number of elements (air, fire, water and earth) and/or program factors that produce a particular result over a period of time. A spell could also be defined as a formalized intention that is carried out over time until completion. We use spells when we are unable to directly affect a situation or condition, especially when dealing with complex factors or barriers which require a lot of force to overcome."
So there you have it. This gives you both a formal and an informal definition of a magical spell--a technical definition and a layman's approach of "a formalized intention." Simple, right?
The Anatomy of a Magic Spell
While the definition of a magic spell may certainly be simple--or at the very least, straightforward--the actual workings of a spell can get a little more complex. The ingredients that go into a spell can take a bit more planning and time and effort than the average Joe may think. Whilst a simple Sun Candle spell can be done with much less effort than what we are about to define in the following section, the spells that are meant to address more complex topics can require much more from the practitioner. This is appropriate as spells are like anything else in life: you get out of them what you put into them.
If we were to break down the anatomy of a spell, we might separate it into these parts:
- Define what is wanted
- Decide the type of spell to cast (for instance, single candle spell, multiple candle spell, Tarot spell, or spells using archetype technology)
- Convert desired outcome into Directors and Limiters (formalized statements of what the spell will and will not do)
- Do Tarot readings on Directors and Limiters to determine whether they and the chosen type of spell will achieve the desired outcome
- If the Tarot readings are not favorable, revise either Directors and Limiters or spell type or both, then lather, rinse, and repeat until the readings are favorable
- Design the spell's necessary ingredients, such as verses, candle carvings, Tarot changes (for Tarot spells), and chosen time to cast spell
- Perform Tarot readings on the above ingredients and revise until readings are favorable
- Prepare the spell ingredients (i.e., carve the candle or write out steps to Tarot layout changes)
- Cast spell at the appropriate time
- Perform follow-up Tarot readings at appropriate intervals to determine progress
- Make spell adjustments if necessary, up to and including spell take-downs (for spells gone awry)
- Sit back, relax, and enjoy the results of your spell!
In future articles we will take each step in this anatomy of a magic spell and dig in. We will define, explore, explain, and generally give you the gist of each step so that you have an idea of what goes into a solid spell that is not only effective, but also follows the operational laws governing magical practice. So stay tuned!
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Or, visit our website for more great resources.