One type of divination rod is simple to make from household materials. This type is called an L-rod. The other popular type of dowsing or divination rods are a Y shaped wooden rod. You may be most familiar with these as being used to find water by people called water witches or dowsers. Below are the instructions on how to construct your own L-rods to use as divination rods.
Divination Rod Construction
To make your own L-rods, follow these simple steps:
1. Gather your materials: a coat hanger made completely of metal (no cardboard pieces), a drinking straw, a measuring tape, scissors and wire-cutting pliers.
2. Use the pliers to cut the curved top part of the hanger just below the twisted section of wire (this will require two bends).
3. Now measure the longest section of the metal piece and mark the halfway point.
4. Use your pliers to snip the hanger where you made your mark. Now you have two pieces of wire, each with a bend.
5. Reshape each piece of wire so that each wire has a 90 degree bend.
6. Take one of the metal pieces and measure both lengths of metal on either side of the curve. Snip both the short and long lengths so that the long length is three times as long as the short length. For instance, if the short length is 3" then the long length should be 9".
7. Do the same for the other rod.
8. Using the scissors, snip a piece from the drinking straw so that the straw is slightly shorter than the short side of the rod.
9. Slide the drinking straw over the short side of the rod, then use the pliers to bend the end of the rod so that the straw can't slide off. The straw allows you to hold the rod while allowing it to swing freely.
10. Repeat the process with the other rod.
Congratulations. You now have your own pair of homemade divination rods! The next step is to train your divination rods.
Training Your Dowsing Rods
Like all magical tools, for your divination rods to be most effective, you need to personalize and "train" them to work for you. The process is simple - much simpler than keying other magical tools like the Wand or the Athame.
To train your divination rods, take a regular sheet of white paper and draw a large X that takes up the entire page. Place the page in the center of an open area of you house.
Now step away from the paper and stand at least five feet away, facing the X. Hold one divination rod in each hand, angling your hands so that the rods point straight ahead of you.
While remaining standing still, command your divination rods: "Find the X!" Keep your mind focused on finding the X as you walk toward the X on the ground. Carefully keep your hands neutral and don't try to control the process. As you walk closer to the X, the ends of your rods should begin to move towards each other. They should cross each other as you walk over the X. As you walk away from the X, the rods should move away from each other again.
Don't worry if your rods don't "find" the X at first. Remember, this exercise is meant to help you train your divination rods. Just keep practicing this exercise, approaching the X from different angles until you see results.
To learn about other exercises and uses for your divination rods as well as other divination methods, get our Psychic Development Ebook. And above all, enjoy the magic!
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader or email. Or, visit our website for more great resources.