Having trouble sleeping at night with worries tumbling through your head and possibly into your dreams? Writing can help you release your worries, concerns and troubles so you can get a good night's sleep. This magical exercise works well as a nightly magical ritual, but can also be done any time you need to work through stressful or traumatic issues. It is one of the many techniques presented in our Daily Rituals for Attracting What You Want in Life ebook.
How It Works
It sounds simple to just write your troubles away, but there are a few guidelines to follow for this act to allow you to unload and release your worries. Just writing on and on about an issue can let it take over your life and not find release. As many people who journal regularly know, writing is a good unloading or venting technique. But to look at this exercise from a magical standpoint, writing takes your thoughts and feelings out of you and anchors them onto paper. Once these thoughts and feelings have a physical anchor, outside of your body, they won't weigh as heavy on you because they now do not have their anchor inside of you. Here are the steps to follow to magically write your troubles away:
1. Set an appointment with yourself during a specific time each day. Nighttime works well to clear out troubles or issues that have come up during the day to prepare you for sleep, but it can be any time throughout the day. Put the time on your calendar or whatever system you use to remind yourself of appointments.
2. At the appointed time, sit down for 5 minutes with paper and pen.
3. Use a watch or timer to time yourself to stop at the end of 5 minutes.
4. Start writing all your negative thoughts, worries, concerns or any issues that came up during the day to cause you stress. Write down as much as you can during your 5 minutes – information about the issues, how you feel about them, what your worries (rational or irrational) about them are, etc... Anything that comes into your head about them.
5. At the end of 5 minutes, stop writing.
Why 5 Minutes
Writing for just 5 minutes ensures that you get your issues down on paper, but that they don't overwhelm your life. Writing for too long a time will cause you to become too attached to the issues. Having a 5 minute appointment with yourself also helps ensure that you will keep doing this ritual and consistency is important for it to work. People tend to make excuses of not having time to do rituals that take longer, but everyone can work 5 minutes into their schedule.
Put It Away and Move On
Make sure you have a safe place to keep the paper you have written on. It should be kept somewhere that you cannot see it or touch it during the normal course of your day. You might have a special file folder to keep it in a file cabinet or have a special notebook that you keep put up on a shelf. Wherever you choose to keep it, just make sure it is kept separate from your daily life. After all the point of the exercise is to get these issues out of your life, so you don't want to be stumbling across them all the time.
Follow this procedure with discipline and consistency each night and you will soon find that the worries, troubles and concerns that were bothering you have stopped being so important and bothersome. I'll say it again - Consistency is a key element in the results of the exercise. Done consistently, you will start to see a division between daily life and your private or rest times. These bothersome issues will interfere less and less with your daily life and you'll be able to get a better night's sleep.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Or, visit our website for more great resources.