Firebowl Incense Elemental Mixes
1. General Purpose: will have a good mix of 4 elements, usually higher in Air and Fire
- Smoke – moderate amount of smoke, tends to rise and spread moderately rapid and leaves a slight bluish haze.
- Scent – Some "edge" or "stickiness" in the scent
- Examples – Sage, pinion, juniper, Dragon's Blood, frankincense
2. Air: is often pale colored with white or transparent material. Can be used to remember dreams, is good for studying
- Smoke – rises quickly and dissipates quickly. Has a very light smoke that leaves air fairly clear afterwards
- Scent – delicate, fast rising scent or no odor
- Examples – sandalwood, sage, mint, sweet grass
3. Fire: often is red, orange, or yellow, good to liven up energy
- Smoke – smoke rises quickly and spreads quickly and is red or yellow. Amount of smoke is light or moderate and leaves a slight bluish haze
- Scent – has a sharp scent that "bites" the nasal passages and sinuses
- Examples – pine, juniper, frankincense
4. Water: often is pink, blue, dark red or brown and often feels damp. Good for meditation.
- Smoke – thick smoke that rises and spreads slowly and dissipates slowly
- Scent – often has a fruit or flower scent or heavy, sweet, wet, thick and cloying scent that can last for days
- Examples – gardenia, lotus blossom, strawberry
5. Earth: often brown or green. Good for stabilizing an area
- Smoke – tends not to rise but rather to "boil" out and settle to the floor spreading slowly
- Scent – heavy, not sweet, not wet "earthy" scent that can last for days. Also a dry scent with a slight "edge" to the nasal passages and sinuses
- Examples – musk, mosses (be sure to dry before burning), myrrh, dark/heavy pines
For deeper study about divination and characterizing incense and plant resins and their various magical uses, see our How to Do Voodoo ebook or the online Basic Magic class section 1.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Or, visit our website for more great resources.