I also realize that many people miss the signs of magic in their lives because they don't know what to look for. In other words, magic is constantly sending messages to us, but we often overlook these signs and symbols.
To remind myself of these signs and symbols, as well as to help others who are looking for help from magic, I've compiled a list of the various ways magic has come into my life over the years.
This is just a short excerpt, and I hope this helps to open your senses to the many ways magic is speaking to you.
Some of the Ways Magic Speaks to Me
- A sentence in a book that I opened to a random page
- A check in the mail
- A conversation I overheard between two strangers
- A raven flying overhead, squawking a message to me
- The moral of a movie coinciding with a request for magical help
- A business phone call from a stranger, who turns out to be reading the same spiritual book as me
- Life-threatening surgery that forever changed my perspective on life
- Watching the amazing transformation in a child's behavior in 10 days
- A long-time friend leaving my life, opening a new space for ...?
- A dream just before awakening
- Runes cast at just the right time, showing me the way
- Meeting a group of magical practitioners at a mountain-side rest stop, who are meditating in the "cone of silence"
- Seeking and finding the Gurdjieff Work
- Taking one dose of a flower remedy made from the magical datura plant
- Feeling the brush of angel wings while at a rest stop after an extremely long drive
- The reincarnation of my dog, Tether, who lived two lifetimes with me
- A nasty note from an anonymous person saying, "Learn how to park, idiot!"
- The planting and cultivation of my garden each year
- A call out of the blue from a long-lost friend
- Finding exactly what I want in a thrift store
- Getting what I want
- Not getting what I want
- Realizing that a negative influence in my life was gone ... and that I hadn't even noticed its absence for months
- Rain arriving on a parched summer day
- A fender-bender that led to a successful business relationship
- Sitting with a wish for the longing to cease ... and having it cease
- Feeling the joy of not expressing dislike
- A misdirected email in my inbox, telling me just what I need to know
- Feeling lonely and realizing I asked for sacred space
- Having a conversation in which no one understood a word I said
- A magical ride on a huge white mule named H.B. (short for HoneyBun) through enchanting Zion National Park
Many of these magical messages have meaning only for me and probably don't make sense to you. That's the whole point of this list. Magic always speaks to us in very personal ways -- ways that only make sense to us and have no meaning for anyone else.
As this list also demonstrates, magic sometimes speaks to us through contrast -- through events that we would normally perceive as negative. Our job, as magicians, is to question events that appear negative on the surface, and see whether the event answers some request we have made for magical help. One question to ask is, "What did I get from this event? What did I give up or give away?"
A Magical Challenge
I challenge you to make your own list of events through which magic speaks to you. You may have to dig a little to find these events, but trust me, the process will definitely be educational. Look through past events and see whether you can uncover magical messages or answers to prayer requests.
In the coming days, become more aware of your environment. If a raven passes overhead and squawks, look up the magical message that the raven carries in the Medicine Cards. If you are standing behind an exceptionally rude person at the grocery store checkout, see how the event might relate to the magic you are doing in your life. If nothing is happening in your life, ask yourself the magical meaning of such silence. Most of all, enjoy. That's what magic is for!
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader or email. Or, visit our website for more great resources.