Accidents as Messages from the Universe
Karma is generally interpreted as "What goes around comes around." There are many theories as to whether one's personal karma is spread over a number of lifetimes or is simply limited to this lifetime. Our teacher, George Dew of the Church of Seven Arrows, always believed that karma is a "pay as you go" system in this Universe. That is, whatever you do will be reflected back to you very quickly, and certainly within this lifetime. This doesn't necessarily negate the idea that karma from past lives can appear in this lifetime to be paid. At the same time, there are two reasons that karma may come around very quickly"
1. Aquarian Age: As we move further into the Aquarian Age, everything happens more quickly. The result of any spellwork will manifest with greater speed. Karma will also come around fast and furious, and either pay out or require one to pay in.
2. Magickal Practitioners: If you are practitioner, then karma also moves faster in your life. Those with magickal force and power have a greater effect on the world and Universe, and also have a greater responsibility. Thus any negative or positive karma created by your practice will come around more quickly than for the average citizen.
Having said all that, the question then becomes, "What do these accidents mean?" George Dew, in his Rules of the Road (the Universal Laws that govern magickal practice), noted that accidents are often the Universe's way of providing the magickal practitioner with "feedback" about his or her actions. The feedback can be about breaking any of the Rules of the Road. In addition, there are several minor rules in particular that many practitioners are prone to ignore.
- Vanity: Using magickal abilities to "show off" or be noticed
- Cost: Charging too much for magickal services (in general, services should cost the same as any other professional--such as a lawyer or accountant--would charge)
- Using Complex Spells by Others Without Proper Checking: While it's perfectly fine to use spells written by others, especially simple rituals and spells that have little chance of creating a lot of karma, using complex spells and rituals created by others without first doing some divination to ensure the spell is "safe" can cause the Universe to send you one accident after another until you take down the spell. At the Esoteric School, all spells and rituals offered have been checked against Rules of the Road to prevent negative feedback.
- Binding or Coercion: Magick is neither good nor bad. Magick simply is a force that can be used in many ways, depending on the practitioner. If magickal force is used to bind or coerce another (a love spell that binds a certain person into a relationship is the perfect example) the Universe will not hesitate to bind you in a similar manner. If the binding causes another person to lose their personal freedom, the Universe will reflect that back to you tenfold, and quickly. Prepare for not just small accidents, but one that may limit your freedom for many years to come (as in being sent to prison, losing the use of one's body, and so forth). Double check all spell work to be sure that it does not limit another's free will or choice.
How to Stop the Accidents
The best way to stop the Universal "messages" disguised as accidents is to locate the source of the problem. Review any magickal work you have done recently. Check your actions against the Rules of the Road (get the full list HERE). Use divination methods such as Tarot, pendulum, question circles, scrying, or the Firebowl to locate the cause of such Universal feedback.
Once you have determined the cause of the problem, move to immediately clean up the mess. If you have cast a spell that is causing negative feedback, take the spell down immediately. If you have been charging more than is reasonable for your services, either offer refunds or pay it forward by doing some pro bono magick. Whatever the cause, stop the magickal force or behavior that is causing the trouble. You will find that the Universe will stop harassing you with "accidents" just as quickly as it caused them.
If you take down a spell or stop a behavior that you feel is causing the Universal messages, but accidents keep happening, continue to use methods of divination until you find the source. The Spirit of Owl is always good at digging up hidden issues. Angels can be hired to help. A Sun Candle can disperse negative energy and help you see the issues more clearly. Whatever the cause, don't stop investigating until you find the answer, since you will not enjoy the continuing accidents from the Universe. You'll find these and plenty of other magical help in our Witchcraft Spell Book: The Complete Guide of Witchcraft Rituals & Spells for Beginners.
The good news is that the Universe is just and fair. As soon as you take care of the offending issue, the Universe will also stop offending you with accidents. The Universe is among the most perfect of mirrors for our own actions and behaviors.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Or, visit our website for more great resources.