1. Gather a pen, paper and timer (or you can use your watch).
2. Go to a public place with lots of people. Restaurants, airports, malls, or a public park are all good places.
3. Pick a comfortable place to sit and where you will not feel self-conscious or obvious. If you feel like you will "stick out" or think others will think you odd for looking at them, this can interfere with the exercise.
4. Pick a person that you are going to observe for 30 seconds.
5. Set your timer for 30 seconds or note the time on your watch and note the time you will stop 30 seconds later.
6. Start writing anything and everything that you can about the person you are observing. Some things you write will be things that can be observed by your 5 senses such as hair color, heavy or thin, type of clothing, or what activities they are doing. The key here is not to think about what you are writing, just write. Do not pause in your writing and write as much as you can, as fast as you can in your 30 second period. This will help you override "mind" and the physical 5 senses observations.
7. After your 30 seconds is over, pick another person to observe, set your timer and repeat the process of writing about this person for 30 seconds.
8. Repeat this process until you have observed 10 different people for 30 seconds each over a 5 minute period.
Here is an example of what your writing may be like:
Woman, red hair, stylish clothes, a mom, stressed out, organized person, has a sister, works indoors, in tune with Nature, born in the West or has a connection to the West, high heeled shoes, talks with hand gestures, sensitive nature, enjoys kids, likes the color green, in her early 30s, blues music, laughs a lot, has kind eyes.
In this description, you'll find several things that can be seen with the five senses such as color of hair and type of clothes and then you will find several things that can't be seen with the five senses such as that she has a sister and has a sensitive nature. Congratulations, those last observations come from using your psychic abilities.
Don't get hung up on finding out if your descriptions are right or wrong. There is no right or wrong at this stage of the game. Right now you are just practicing tuning in with your psychic powers and psychic abilities instead of your usual five senses or mind chatter. The only goal at this point is to practice. The more you practice and get used to using your Spirit abilities the more your observations will improve. A variation on this exercise for those who don't get out much is to use people on the TV. Just turn down the volume and do the same steps as in the exercise above with people you find there. The more you practice, the better you will get at using your psychic powers. So go find some people to start practicing on and enjoy the journey!
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Or, visit our website for more great resources.