Protection Magic: Defending Yourself
When you practice magic you inevitably begin attracting the attention of magical beings. Most of the beings you encounter will fall into a category of benevolent and/or non-threatening. There are beings however that are of a more threatening nature and your increased energy and force can attract their unwanted attention. You may also attract beings on different levels that while are not necessarily threatening, do seek to interfere with your path in some way or other. Since everyone has the right to sacred space and to practice magic, protection magic may be necessary and falls within your rights according to laws of magical practice. According to Western magical practice, "You have a right to be here and follow your own path so long as you hinder no one else in doing likewise." This foundational principle asserts our right to exist and follow our own path and by extension, our right to defend ourselves against those who might seek to prevent us from walking our path.
Protection Magic: Self Defense Rules
In many spiritual systems, it is actually considered a crime to not defend yourself appropriately. In doing so, you are enabling the perpetrator to NOT learn spiritually appropriate behavior; therefore, prolonging his or her lack of growth. Generally speaking, any infringement on your sacred psychic or emotional space gives you the right to defend yourself with protection magic. More specifically a good rule of thumb to follow when it comes to self-defense or protection magic is:
"In cases of direct and violent personal harm you are entitled to defend yourself by any means available provided you did nothing to encourage or provoke the attack."
"Direct" specifically means anything that is upon your body, mind or spirit which would include attempts by any outside force or influence to draining your energy or impose their will upon you. "Violent" more specifically refers to anything that's damaging to your physical, mental, emotional or spiritual well being.
3 Simple Protection Spells
Protection magic covers a vast variety of magical techniques from using amulets or talismans to constructing fire shields or omnils. Here are 3 very simple techniques for using protection magic.
1. Sun Candle – this technique helps clear your space of unwanted, junky or negative energies. It can also create sacred space for you. You will need a Sun Yellow candle (a bright yellow candle that has no orange overtones) and paper or wooden matches. To create sacred space with the Sun Candle, you will need to "charge" it, or program it to do so. To charge the candle:
- Stand or sit in the South facing North with the Sun Candle in front of you
- Light the candle using wooden or paper matches (do NOT use a lighter)
- Wait until the candle flame is steady and tall
- Hold your hands up to and around the flame, focusing your attention on the candle and flame.
- Say the charge verse below in a voice of command (a strong, powerful voice)
"Child of Wonder,Leave the candle burning in the room for at least 30 minutes (be sure the candle is on a protected surface such as a plate and is not a fire hazard). At the end of 30 minutes or when you feel ready, blow out the flame (don't snuff it out).
Child of Flame,
Nourish My Spirit,
And Protect My Aim!"
2. Walking litany – This is a technique that is part of the Navajo Beauty Way and actually a spell in motion. It can create sacred space around you and move with you creating sacred space as you go. There is a long form of the litany and a short form. The particular attribute (power in the example below) in the litany changes according to what you are working on or wish to accomplish. The litany should be said aloud or sub-vocally, but not just mentally. Here's how you do the short version of the Walking Litany in protection magic.
- pick a distance of at least 2 city blocks to walk
- say the following out loud or sub-vocally. Just saying them mentally does not work.
"With Power Around me, I walk in the world.
With Power Within me, I walk in the world.
This One walks in Power,
This One carries Power."
- walk to the rhythm of the litany lines and when you get to the end, go back and start them over.
- keep repeating the litany-sequence until you have walked the required distance.
3. Hiring an angel – this technique can be used as protection magic for yourself or others or even to take care of your property when you are gone. There are angels for everything. Let's take the example of hiring an angel to protect your property while you are away on a trip. Here's how that would work.
- say out loud or in your mind, "I would like to a request (or hire) a protection angel"
- wait a few moments until you feel a presence, or, just wait a few moments. They don't take long to get there. say:
"Protection angel, I would like to request your help protecting my house, property and belongings there for [name specific dates] while I am away on my trip [specify where and when]. Thank you in advance for your help."
- Once you return from the trip and find everything which you have asked for has occurred, thank the angel again. It is VERY IMPORTANT to thank angels so they will be willing to help you later.
These 3 protection spells will help get you started on creating and protecting your sacred and magical space. You can learn many other spells, rituals and magical techniques for protection, healing, communicating with other beings and a wide variety of other topics in our courses, ebooks and our free resources.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader. Or, visit our website for more great resources.